Monday, January 19, 2015

Crossing to Safety

“A western buckaroo, I share his scorn for people who go camping by the book, relying on the authority of some half-assed assistant scoutmaster whose total experience outdoors probably consists of two overnight hikes and a weekend in the Catskills. But we have just had that confrontation. The one who goes by Pritchard's book is Sid's wife, and I am wary. It is not my expedition. I am a guest here.”

I finished Crossing to Safety in the air over South Carolina last week. And sighed. There's so much tucked in there. So much that resonated. Both things I want - and things I wonder about. The contrasts between Sid and Charity's relationship and Larry and Sally's. The slow and quiet growth - of people and places - over time.

After seeing Inherent Vice the other night, I'm going to take the book with me to San Diego tomorrow.. it should read just about right in that warm California sun. Today, working on a summary judgment motion in the quiet office. Waiting for spring to come, smokin' down the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment