Monday, October 13, 2014

Warm California Sun

Ah.  The end of a vacation.  Sitting in my hotel room in Santa Monica, J asleep.  Lights twinkling below, the pier in the distance and beyond, Point Dume.  I spent the afternoon on Zuma Beach, body surfing four-foot swells into shore while J danced in the surf and dug holes and laughed when I walked up with kelp in my hair.  The smell of the air off the sea.  Salt on my lips and in my hair.  The tall, tall palms. 

I could get used to this place.  And vacation. 


This morning, the Getty Villa.  I didn't pay much attention to the art (though there was a rather stunning Venus..  and some great mosaics), and instead followed J as she explored the architecture.  The gardens.  The paths. 

Not quite ready to go back to DC. 

Other musical highlights of the trip?
  • Seeing David Rawlings at the soundcheck for Dawes at Pappy & Harriets, in the pristine high desert above Joshua Tree.  Watching J's face as the full band kicked in and hearing her say that it sounded "just like heaven."  
  • Neko Case's voice cutting through the Mojave as we pulled out of Kingman and headed south and west, along abandoned Route 66.
  • Today Was a Good Day coming on the radio as we pulled off of I-10 and caught our first glimpse of the beach.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment