Friday, April 10, 2015

30 Great Albums

So a friend of JS's wrote her recently, stating:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I almost never listen to music (I've instead been a voracious consumer of audiobooks). I feel like I'm missing out, so I set a goal of listening to 30 full albums before I turn 30 next April.

Problem is I don't know where to start. Would you be willing to point me in the direction of good music?

Which we both took as a challenge. For posterity, here's my list of 30 (as of right now):

One compilation including one or more of: Buddy Holly / Gene Vincent / Eddie Cochrane / Elvis / Ritchie Valens etc.

One compilation including one or more of: Hank Williams / Ernest Tubb / Roger Miller / Bobby Bare etc.

One compilation including one or more of: Robert Johnson / Blind Willie Johnson / Blind Willie McTell / John Hurt etc.

Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music - Ray Charles
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (Alt: Sketches of Spain)
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison

Bookends - Simon and Garfunkle (Alt: Bridge over Troubled Waters / Sounds of Silence)
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Revolver - Beatles
Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones

Blue - Joni Mitchell (Alt: Court and Spark)
Harvest - Neil Young (Alt: After the Goldrush or On the Beach)
GP / Grevious Angel - Gram Parsons
Red-Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan (Alt: Desire)

The Velvet Underground & Nico - VU
Horses - Patti Smith

Thriller - Michael Jackson (Alt: Off the Wall)
Purple Rain - Prince
Graceland - Paul Simon

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
College Dropout - Kanye West (Alt: MDBTF)
Blueprint - Jay-Z (Alt: MTV Unplugged)
Ready to Die - Notorious B.I.G.
Illmatic - Nas

Elephant - White Stripes
Doolittle - Pixies
MTV Unplugged - Nirvana (Alt: Live Through This - Hole)
Automatic for the People - R.E.M. (Alt: Out of Time)

No comments:

Post a Comment